As 2018 closes, and we look to 2019, it is good that we gather together to pray for the Lord’s blessing upon our efforts. Our Weekend of Prayer and the Word is scheduled for January 11-13, (Friday evening, Saturday morning and evening, and Sunday morning) with Rev. Scott Sauls as our speaker. Scott is the Senior Pastor of Christ Presbyterian Church in Nashville, TN, and the older brother of our own Matt Sauls. Prayer is foundational to any ministry that seeks to promote the cause of Christ. Jesus said, “Apart from Me you can do nothing.” (John 15:5), but He also encourages us in these words, “If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.” (John 15:7) As we abide in Him and His words abide in us, our hearts are changed and we begin to long for His kingdom to come and His will to be done on earth as it is in heaven. Let us pray together that the Lord’s kingdom will continue to come through the labors of Trinity Presbyterian Church, and that His will will be done in our midst.
Many good things took place in 2018. I guess the most significant change was when we restructured our Education Hour electives to permanent classes based on life-experience. These classes have been meeting for about three months now and are beginning to develop an identity of their own. It is our hope that our membership will find these classes to be places in which they can build strong relationships with fellow believers and be encouraged in their spiritual growth. If you haven’t participated in a class yet, make it a priority to do so in the new year.
This past year has been challenging financially, but we are making adjustments to address the shortfalls, and are looking forward to 2019 and the opportunity to regroup and press forward. Pray that the Lord will add to our congregation and that we will all give generously to the work of Christ’s Kingdom in our midst.
In the coming year we will be going through a new officer selection process. I will be preaching a brief series of sermons from 1 Timothy 2 and Titus 1 on this subject to refresh your memories on what the Scriptures have to say about those men who hold the offices of elder and deacon. Pray that the Lord will lead us to godly and gifted men who are eager to lead our congregation as they follow Christ.
During the evening worship services I will be preaching a series of messages on the names by which the people of God are called in the Scriptures. The names by which we are called help us to better understand our spiritual identity and how our Heavenly Father thinks of us. After the series on officers from 1 Timothy 3 and Titus 1 is completed I will resume the study of the Book of Romans with Chapter 8.
Prayer groups and Bible Studies will continue in the coming year. If you are not participating in a weekly prayer group, I urge you to either start one or join one. Meeting weekly with brothers or sisters to pray is a great source of spiritual encouragement, and prayer is foundational to the success of any ministry.
As you think about the new year here are some suggestions for things you might pursue:
- Set aside a time for spiritual devotion: prayer and Bible reading every day
- Join or start a prayer group and seek the throne of grace
- Pray for friends, neighbors, relatives to come to a saving knowledge of Jesus and invite them to worship, a Bible study, a fellowship event, etc.
- Sponsor a Home Bible Study and invite your friends, neighbors, and relatives to attend.
- Pray for the counseling ministry as many who are outside of the church are helped and pointed to Christ and His Church
- Pray for the ministry of Trinity Christian School as many families outside of the Church are engaged through their children
- Participate in the outreach and mercy ministry projects of your Fellowship Group
- Pray for opportunities to give testimony to the grace of Jesus at work in your own heart
- Pray for the businesses, etc. owned and operated by members of TPC and ask God to bless them
- Give tithes and offerings and pray for God to increase available resources
- Pray for the deacons as they administer the budget
- Pray that the Lord will add ten new families/individuals to the Trinity family in 2019